Thursday, March 14, 2013

A form of control: not laughing.

Karate is fun.  And often v. funny.

Tuesday started out with just Sensei B and I - for the First Time Ever. No kids: they're all on spring break and off having fun.  So we practiced bunkai (applications) briefly, until some new students walked in.
And so we backed it down (no advanced stuff, frownyface) and practiced basics all class.

Am not sure what we did on Monday that left me with a very sore hip - either was K. whacking the wind out of me in throws, or the kicking? Regardless, my bumhip was - and is - an achey ball of dontscrewwithme.

So the hour and a half of stance-work was a delight of a special kind.  I mean - very good, actually - I always need work on stances. But tiring and long, particularly when you're trying to Set An Example, Dammit. I wonder if the day will ever come when I don't mess up? Bah.  I mean - in general, I'm sure that the new folks can't tell. But I can. Bar ever higher. And I know my instructors can tell - because they're never shy to point out where I'm failing... Yay.

No, really.

But we worked on basics - moving in stance, basic blocks, and the beginner first kata. I really like new students, and these were definitely of the type that learns quickly and practices at home in order to learn more quickly. A mom and her young son. I like teaching, as long as the groups are small and the students want to learn.

On Friday it was Sensei D and I. And a very fun, very productive class. We quickly ran through all the basic techniques; the first time I've been able to see, side by side with another black belt, that my techniques, while far from perfect, are technically correct. Was really nice to see, since I've been working hard to learn to do things Their Way (rather than My Home's Way) - and its been a long time coming.

Then we had some fun.

Balanced boxing mitts on our heads - which was hilarious. Its hard not to laugh when you've got a boxing mitt on your head, and are surrounded by mirrors. But it was also very useful. Went through kata and basics, trying not to let it fall. While trying also to be controlled, fluid, and on target. Woah, talk about illumination!  It really helped me see and feel the ears-over-shoulders-over-hips - and find where I wasn't managing that. And keep that feeling all through class.

The last half of class we worked on drills - a block & counter drill followed by a sweep. And the sweep progressed to a sort of throw. Well, a weird sort of behind-you-in-kiba-leg-bump that is really hard to describe, but I want to try in judo (if its legal).

 Sensei D will be out of town until April, so it'll be much less karate and much more jiujitsu for the next few weeks. Tonight is judo. Can I cross my fingers that I suck a little less than usual tonight?

No comments:

Post a Comment