Monday, March 4, 2013

Is there another way to say 'mounted'?

Krav was fierce. 

I have to say that, in general, I prefer to be partnered with (a) men or (b) women who are more skilled than I. Mostly because they'll match my intensity.Meh. I like to go hard - I come to work. Unfortunately, men have to pull back their strength when playing with me, but I have to pull back my own strength and intensity when working with women. It is... bizarre. I'm not used to having to do that!  But particularly folks - men or women, but especially women - who are new to any sort of martial art - they're liable to be timid, scared easily, and hurt easily.

So I was grateful to be partnered with a guy for the first part of class. He was new to martial arts, and so pretty timid (particularly about Grabbing A Woman) - but he was definitely strong and tough, which is a good thing. We worked on high blocks first, then the same elbow strike we worked on last week. I was happy that the changes I'd made to my left-side elbow-strike improved things. Since they were my goals this week, I focused on precision & control. With mixed results, but improvement, at least! We ended up working up to a combo - which is new. We don't tend to combo things up too much in krav. But was high-block, two punches, elbow strike[, clinch, combatives].

The drill this week was one we've done before - defense to a forward collargrab/choke. This part of class, I was partnered with a small, older woman. I was especially conscious of my size & strength! Precision & control were my default watchwords. Really helpful! When you are trying not to just barrel through folks, you have to be controlled & precise.  She though - she has some power & precision, age and fragility aside! She was kicking all up the inside of my thighs (rather than actually hitting my groin with that kind of force) - was pretty neat.

By the end of class, I could hardly do the final combatives/punching drill. Bah. That doesn't happen to me often! But then, I push myself harder (because I can) when I'm partnered with men, so the first half of class was all kinds of SarahGoGoGo.

No-Gi was cancelled.

Big frowny-face. But since I'll be able to do jiujitsu on Wednesday, I guess I can't really whinge too bad. Though no-gi is a lot of fun... mostly because I'm at slightly less disadvantage, because folks can't grab and hold my gi with their Awesome Strength, so I'm able to slide out of things a lot more easily. I get trapped a lot less.

I really hope we work on mount escapes. In Judo or JiuJitsu. Sometimes in judo, they ask us if there's anything in particular we want to work on. I definitely need to work on them. Whenever I'm stuck in that position (I really have trouble using the word mounted), all I can remember is bridge and roll, which never seems to work. Though now I'm remembering something one of the wrestling guys was teaching me, using the same torque as shrimping. Hum. Was that from under the mount? It doesn't seem to make sense (whenever I turn in a mount, I end up with some guy on my back - invariably choking me) - but there has to be more than depending on your ability to bridge with someone on your hips/stomach/chest.

No comments:

Post a Comment