Friday:
WrestlerMan, myself, and the two instructors on Friday. Win. Or, well, not so much. Escapes from side control - which, hell, I really need help with, but struggle with - to the point where when I end up in that position I think "oh, crap, I should just tap now and get it over with.". I can eventually get out of most positions, I think, as long as I have enough time to remember an escape or three to try. Except side control or any variation of it. Something about it keeps me completely pinned. Haven't yet found a technique reliable enough to get me out. Er, ever. Need to do some thinking about it.
Have also got on my mental list to ask the Teach about how to make myself harder to roll. In grappling, we were talking about how relaxing makes you harder to throw, so I assume the same idea comes into play in jiujitsu... but physically, I'm sure where you're putting your weight matters just as much in grappling. I know that putting more than a hundred pounds on someone's chest should be enough to make them feel trapped, even if they're heavier/stronger than me. Because if I'm actually able to get on top, I'd really like to stay there...
We worked on a really neat transition sequence. Really godawfully confusing, but I know it'll really help when I get it down. Mount to side control to reverse side control to cross-body (forget what that's called) to reverse side control to side control to mount. Around and around and around. Woohoo.
Saturday:
Seems they're gearing for an upper rank test, so things are harder than normal - topping! :-D
Am quietly working to be as invisible and unobtrusive as possible so that no one mentions testing to me. I've been with this school for a little less than a year - maybe nine or ten months, I joined last summer. I'm ranked with a different school, different style, and different organization. For the record, I tried to pull off being a white belt and starting at the beginning again, but was eventually outed and told to wear my rank. Something about "if you're a doctor, you're a doctor anywhere, and it confuses people when you pretend otherwise." But anyway - have been working since I got there to adapt to their style - it is similar enough to the style of karate I did back home that I'm able to keep up, but different enough in fundamental, technique-wise ways that it has taken real effort to learn to do things Their Way. But they've mentioned, in passing, that I may have to eventually test for them, to be ranked with them and their style.
I would really rather not. I don't want rank, and would frankly feel much more comfortable with, say, a blue belt around my waist in the first place. Testing back home was fairly frightful, and so I faffed participating but every few years, but was eventually dragged through each of the ordeals necessary to tie a piece of black cotton around my waist. Bah. I really hate testing - eyes on you, being judged, being physically tested... ugh. And I generally feel quite crap about my own ability, so I would rather not give the impression that I know more than I do - and let others who do really know... really see.
Am decidedly grumpy at my krav instructor telling folks that I'm a black belt - as if that means something. Particularly as I'm sure he knows exactly what that means (since he sees pretty accurately how far I've got to go). Humbug.
So yes... am decidedly wary and careful in class right now, hoping I'm not asked to participate, and that the Shihan stops trying to draw me out.
Would love to be less terrified of being the center of attention, but there you are - what can you do?
I was talking about Saturday.
We ran through Every Kata (even the Obscure Ones) up to Wankon Ich (which I don't know, its specific to this style). Basics until our asses cracked [oh, wait...!]. Then this really strange choreographed fight sequence. Really weird - so far outside the norm that even the Really Advanced Dudes were struggling. We don't really do choreographed fighting, but I think its something the Shihan is adapting from Kung Fu.
Trying to remember it.
A [B]
Punch [block, throat-strike, release]
Punch [hook block, grab, punch]
Block. Haito to the collar bone [block, punch, punch]
Block. Hammer-fist temple [block, punch]
Pressing blocks, (two hands) [grab, wristlock]
Step & twist for take-down [evade]
Punch [block, hammerfist temple]
Block [punch]
Block, punch [step in, grab, sweep]
Evade, punch [hook block, punch]
Block, punch [hook block, punch]
Block, punch [hook block, punch]
And I forget the rest. And have probably mangled this version, but its okay... it won't make sense to anyone but me anyway.Just a way to try and store it away for later. It was kind of beautiful to watch, at the least. And anything that involves even simulated contact combinations is fun.
I need to start writing sooner after class, so that I stop forgetting so much. I can't WAIT to be fully healed and able to Think Like A Normal Again. Brain has been mushy applesauce for a month... nothing is sticking in it, its all just sliding through. I hate it - I can't hold onto anything. Damn lurgy.
It'll come back... but in the meantime, I'm slogging through brain-blocking sick and hoping I'll eventually be able to think straight.
No comments:
Post a Comment