Wednesday, March 6, 2013

No pain.

Had a great class in JiuJitsu tonight. Was a smaller class than the last time - maybe eight folks.

We worked on transitions and submissions - progressively. Started in a mount - practiced hooking and getting weight in the right spot.  Was different than anyone in judo jas done to me - usually a judoka's weight is higher up, on my chest or my shoulders - this position involved weighing on my stomach,. Woah, talk effective - knock the breath out of me.  We then slid to side control from the mount - knee across the belly. I tend to hate having that done to me - folks are heavy! But since this was a slide (no weight), I survived. Hah. From side control we went to a kimura, then armbar, then americana. Really interesting - I though kimura/americana/ude was all the same thing. And it kind of is - reversed versions of each other. Kimura, I guess, means their hands are pointed down to their waist. Americanas are above the head? Same general rotation - painting the ground with their wrist.

What was different between how we're taught in judo: you aren't lifting the elbow for leverage, you're sliding the shoulder. It helps me to do it that way, since I'm so much shorter than my partners - I just don't have the length to lift ANYTHING and keep strength. I tend to need to be close to the ground, and this way lets me be.

Rolling was alright - rolled with a mom and then her daughter - they both take judo with me, and I know them pretty well. They have skills, but lack confidence (don't we all?) so it tends to be a bit of a whatdoIdowhatdoIdo?? roll on their part. And I try not to get everything, and leave myself open to let them do what they know. I know how frustrating it is to not get anything - obviously. With anyone else, I can't. With them, I only can because they've only been there a few months, so I know more, maybe. Though I found out today they have a year of jiujitsu behind them as well, so they SHOULD be able to kick my ass. :)

Talked to the instructor about the no-joint-pain deal. I really hope folks realize I'm not some tough guy, I don't want to be hurt. I just tend not to feel joint locks unless they're Really Right. The folks who really know what they're doing? Can give it to me and have me tap in seconds. I feel it. I just don't tend to feel it if it isn't right.

But yeah - so we were talking that (1) if its right, and I know its right - give it to them (that's been how I try to operate) (2) if they don't have it, and it isn't hurting me, use it as an excuse to wiggle out of it and (3) don't let myself get hurt.

It is an interesting problem to have. I really DON'T want to look like the d**k who is trying to be all ToughGuy on folks, and not tap because they think that makes them look good. I'm not like that - at least I don't think I'm like that. I know personally, that I want to get it right, so I don't want folks tapping until I'm in the right spot. I want to tap when they get it right... but not when they get it wrong. Ugh. Work on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment